Saturday, August 14, 2010

Leading the Way


Dealing with grief is a battle that I fight personally every day. Grief for me has been a very hard learning experience. There is no map to navigate your way through it. For months after my loss, I tried to think my way through grief. This, I finally learned, does not work. My thoughts would play like a reel in my mind. I would find my self trying to answer the same questions over and over every day. Questions that had no answers. I was regurgitating the same questions over and over again until I would feel helpless. One day it just hit me. My head cannot lead the way through grief; it doesn't have those capabilities, but my heart does. The journey through grief then became more navigable. My heart doesn't hamper on the same unanswerable questions. My heart simply leads the way to through each emotion of grief, while my head follows. I made this decision a few months ago and I have had an easier time continuing to move through this time. It doesn't make the loss of a loved one any easier, it will just keep you traveling through this journey, instead of setting up camp there.

No comments:

Post a Comment