Monday, April 26, 2010

Thinking


"A man is what he thinks about all day long." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Scary thought. You are what you think about all day long. Reading this quote made me more aware of what I think about all day. Maybe it will do the same for you.

I found this quote in a book by Charles Allen called God's Psychiatry. It was referred to me by my grandmother and I highly recommend it. It examines the pattern of thinking and the Twenty Third Psalm.

Allen comments that if you recite the Psalm 23 throughout the day to yourself and not just reciting the words from memory, but by really meditating on the words and thinking about each passage that you can develop a new way of thinking. Thus, creating a new life.

He says the "power of this Psalm lies in the fact that it represents a positive, hopeful, faith approach to life".

I think we could all use that approach to life. I want that approach to life. So I am up for the challenge or "prescription" that Allen gives. I want to make it a point each day, multiple times of day to recite in my head and really think about each word in the 23rd Psalm. And maybe this post will inspire you to do the same.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures;
he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths
of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow
of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
thy rod and staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence
of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil;
my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all of
the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house
of the Lord for ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment