Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Fear Not Tomorrow


Most of us fear the unknown. Tomorrow is the unknown and we do not know what is in store. The fear of not knowing causes us to worry. We worry about not only tomorrow, but next week, next month and next year. But why do we worry so about the time ahead? I was browsing some books today and I saw the title of one that made me stop and think, it said, Fear Not Tomorrow God is Already There.

The title of the book was such a relief. Why do I fear tomorrow or the next day when God is already there? Is that not the greatest comfort of all? We forget that God is not bound by time as we are. He is not under the laws of time. God is already there tomorrow, next week, next month, next year and so on.

I want to not fear what the future of each new day holds. I want to give that worry to God. I know He can handle it! And now I realize that I cannot fear tomorrow because God is already there.

This concept reminds of a prayer that was sent to my family after Addison's death. It is a prayer I hold onto dearly because it sums up worrying about tomorrow in perfect words.

"Be at Peace"

Do not look forward in fear to the changes of life. Rather, look to them with full hope that as they arise, God, whose very own you are, will lead you safely through all things. And when you cannot stand it, God will carry you in His arms. Do not fear what may happen tomorrow. The same everlasting Father who cares for you today will take care of you today and every day. He will either shield you from suffering or will give you unfailing strength to bear it. Be at peace and put aside all anxious thoughts and imaginations.

- St. Francis de Sales


No comments:

Post a Comment